The HA-2 is an elegant yet sophisticated portable headphone amplifier with built-in rechargeable battery. It is engineered to enhance music playback from mobile phones and portable music players. Aesthetically, the HA-2 does not look like a typical or generic electronic device. Its genuine leather casing with contrast stitching and beveled aluminum edges are eye-catching and cannot be confused with any other product. Its fit and finish will instill a sense of pride when using the product
Meets Style and Design
Featuring hybrid class AB amplification and a USB DAC that supports 384 kHz PCM and DSD256, the HA-2 offers high performance digital-to-analog conversion for Apple’s iPhone/iPod products, a wide range of Android devices, PC and Mac computers. The HA-2 may be conveniently used to charge mobile devices on-the-go and itself can be efficiently charged in 30 minutes. Headphones, from very sensitive In-Ear Monitors to the most power-hungry Over-the-Ears, can all benefit from the HA-2’s excellent performance and powerful amplification.
Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC
Stacking the HA-2 on top of some smartphone models is often still thinner than other portable headphone amplifier models alone.
Supports PCM audio up to 384 kHz / 32-bit, DSD audio up to 12 MHz (DSD256 or DSD4x). No Camera Connection Kit required for high-resolution playback from iOS devices*.
Internal battery can be quickly charged in about 30 minutes with the patented rapid charger.
ES9018-K2M DAC chip delivers high-resolution performance with extremely low noise and distortion.
Supports multiple device types for digital-to-analog conversion via USB: iPod / iPhone / iPad, smartphones with USB OTG feature, PC and Mac computers.
The HA-2 functions as an external battery pack for your mobile devices.
With smartphone use increasing all the time, users are often carrying a device that is capable of storing high quality audio files. The HA-2 is a very mobile-centric portable headphone amplifier and DAC that pairs exceptionally well with iOS and Android devices, and it can offer a significant improvement in sound quality over the amplification and DAC available in the mobile device itself, without adding excessive bulk and weight so as to make the combination inconvenient. Other mobile-friendly features such as rapid charging and mobile device power bank make the HA-2 a true companion for music on the go.
The HA-2 offers two USB DAC input ports - one for Apple’s iPhone/iPod, and the other for Android devices, PC and Mac computers. A 3.5 mm input works with the remaining portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. There are two gain level settings. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones. In addition to the two gain levels, the HA-2 offers two stages of volume control to precisely dial the desired output volume and to resolve the volume disparity issues between using In-Ear Monitors and full-size headphones. By mapping USB volume control commands to the Sabre DAC chip's internal digital volume control, users can adjust the signal volume using the playback app or software without losing audio resolution or causing bit truncation. The HA-2's analog volume control knob can then be used to further adjust for a comfortable listening level. For users who like a bit more punch and impact with their music, the HA-2 offers a Bass Boost function that is implemented purely with analog audio circuits.
* High-resolution audio playback from iOS and Android devices may require additional playback apps.
- Hybrid Class AB Amplifier - The HA-2's power amplification circuit for the headphones is Class AB built with integrated circuits (ICs) and discrete transistors. The discrete transistor output stage uses hand-picked and matched parts. The output transistors are biased to operate in their most linear range for the critical small signal, and deliver their full potential when power is required.
Made for iPod®, iPhone® and iPad® - The HA-2 passes Apple's "MFi" certification and is compatible with the latest iPod, iPhone and iPad to be used as the digital audio output accessory of these devices. By tapping directly into the digital audio signal of these devices and converting the audio to analog using the high performance SABRE32 Reference DAC, music from your favorite portable device will sound its best. Furthermore, for users with high-resolution music playback apps, the HA-2 does not require the use of a Camera Connection Kit (CCK). The data cables that come with your Apple device or the supplied Lightning cable is sufficient.
- Compatible with Android - The HA-2’s micro-USB input port works with Android devices that support USB OTG (USB On-The-Go) and USB Audio Class. A special USB OTG cable is supplied with the HA-2 to facilitate the connection. When used with a compatible Android device, the HA-2 can support the device's built-in music app, tones and notifications. Additionally, a high-resolution music playback app can use the HA-2 as its external DAC to play lossless PCM and DSD audio files.
- Audio-In and Line-Out - The HA-2 has a 3.5 mm Audio-In port to support portable music players that do not have a USB-compatible digital output. While the HA-2 is used with one of its USB digital input ports, the 3.5 mm jack acts as Line-Out for the USB DAC.
- ESS Sabre32 Reference DAC - The DAC is one of the most important components for digital audio playback. The ES9018-K2M DAC chip used in the HA-2 is the mobile version of the ES9018S used in our award-winning HA-1 desktop headphone amplifier. With the ESS patented 32-bit Hyperstream™ DAC architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the SABRE32 Reference DAC delivers an unprecedented performance for mobile applications. To learn more about the technologies behind the exceptional performance of the SABRE DAC, please read the SABRE Technical White Paper.
- Asynchronous USB DAC - By bypassing the smartphone's built-in DAC and headphone amplification circuit that are often cost-constrained, the HA-2 turns a smartphone into a high performance digital audio player. The asynchronous USB DAC input of the HA-2 also works with PC and Mac computers to replace the built-in sound card and support high-resolution audio playback with PCM up to 384 kHz 32-bit and DSD up to 12 MHz (DSD256).
- Clean Signal Path - There is no DSP (Digital Signal Processor) in the HA-2. Volume control is operated by a combination of the DAC chip's internal digital volume control and an analog potentiometer (the familiar volume knob). Bass boost is performed by pure analog audio circuits. By avoiding re-digitizing the audio signal for volume adjustment or bass boost, the HA-2 provides a clean signal path for the audio.
- Bass Boost - For those who like a bit more punch and impact with their music, the HA-2 offers a Bass Boost function. With Bass Boost off, the HA-2 delivers a ruler-flat frequency response; with Bass Boost on, the HA-2 adds force and impact to the sub-bass region without muddling the important mid- to high-frequency bands.
- Two Gain Settings - The HA-2 offers two gain level settings for optimal headphone matching. The High Gain mode is capable of driving large power-hungry headphones, delivering up to 300 mW into 16-Ohm headphones. The Low Gain mode is intended for sensitive In-Ear Monitor type earphones.
- Rapid Charging - The HA-2 features patented VOOC rapid charging technology from OPPO. Using the supplied rapid charger, the internal battery can be quickly and safely charged to 70% capacity in about 30 minutes. It only takes approximately 90 minutes to fully charge the battery. A quick charge gives the HA-2 hours of operation time.
- Mobile Power Bank - The HA-2 functions as an external battery pack to charge your mobile device. Utility and convenience are factors we wanted to address with the HA-2, so you can ditch the bulky spare battery pack and carry just the HA-2 with you mobile phone.
- Build Quality - The HA-2 is housed in an aluminum chassis wrapped in genuine leather. The beveled metal edges and contrast stitching on the leather are eye-catching. Its fit and finish will instill a sense of pride when using the product. The HA-2 meshes equally well in the pocket of an urban Millennial or on the desk of a business executive.
Designs and specifications are subject to change without notice.
|Dimensions (W x H x D)||2.7 x 6.2 x 0.5 inches, 68 x 157 x 12 mm|
|Weight||6.2 oz, 175 grams|
|Frequency Response||20 Hz - 200 kHz|
|Audio-in Level||1 Vrms|
|Line-out Level||1 Vrms|
|Recommended Headphone Impedance||16 Ohm - 300 Ohm|
|Maximum Headphone Output Power||300 mW into 16 Ohm
220 mW into 32 Ohm
30 mW into 300 Ohm
|Headphone Amplifier Output Impedance||0.5 Ohm|
|Output Jacks||3.5 mm stereo headphone
3.5 mm stereo line-out
|Input Ports||Analog: 3.5 mm stereo audio-in
Digital: USB A for iPod / iPhone / iPad; USB micro-B for smartphones with USB OTG feature and computers.
|DAC Chip||ESS Sabre32 Reference ES9018-K2M|
|Input Format||Stereo PCM, Stereo DSD (DoP v1.1 or native)|
|PCM Sampling Frequencies||44.1 kHz - 384 kHz, 16 / 24 / 32-bit|
|DSD Sampling Frequencies||2.8224 MHz (DSD64), 5.6448 MHz (DSD128), 11.2896 MHz (DSD256, native mode only)|
|Profile||USB 2.0, USB Audio 2.0|
|Included Accessories||Power Supply Unit (Rapid Charging Charger)
USB A - USB micro-B data and rapid charging cable
USB A - Lightning data cable (for Apple devices)
USB micro-B to micro-B data cable (for Android and other smartphones)
3.5 mm - 3.5 mm stereo audio cable
Silicone rubber band (2 pieces)
User guide and warranty documents
|Built-in Battery type||3000 mAh lithium polymer rechargeable battery|
|Battery Operation Time||Approx. 13 hours for analog source via Audio-in; approx. 7 hours for digital sources via USB|
|Charging Time||Approx. 1 hour 30 minutes|
“Made for iPod”, “Made for iPhone”, and “Made for iPad” mean that an electronic accessory has been designed to connect specifically to iPod®, iPhone®, or iPad®, respectively, and has been certified by the developer to meet Apple performance standards. Apple is not responsible for the operation of this device or its compliance with safety and regulatory standards. Please note that the use of this accessory with iPod, iPhone, or iPad may affect wireless performance.
iPad, iPhone, iPod and iPod touch® are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Compatible iPod/iPhone/iPad Models
USB works with iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5S, iPhone 5C, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad (4th generation), iPad mini, iPod touch (5th generation).
The HA-2's USB input B works with Android devices that support USB OTG (USB On-The-Go) and USB Audio Class 2.0. Not all devices are compatible.
Android is a trademark of Google Inc.
All trademarks are the property of their respective owners.